Friday, November 5, 2010

NFL Preview Week 9

Lots to get to... Winners in Bold
  • Tampa Bay @ Atlanta - 1:00 - Interesting spot here... Tampa keeps plugging along... 5-2 now and while they haven't beaten anyone of consequence, they have to be taken a little seriously here... especially now that Blount is getting the majority of the carries and they seemed to have buried Hyundai...er.. Cadillac Williams... On the other side? Atlanta is just a different (better) team in the Georgia Dome since Mike Smith and Matt Ryan arrived... Matt Ryan has never lost a home game to an NFC opponent... ever... and I expect that to continue.. Look for Turner to go off here... Josh Freeman will keep Tampa around though...
  • New Orleans @ Carolina - 1:00 - Carolina stinks... we all know that... but could this be a letdown spot for New Orleans? Maybe... I just don't think it matters... too much talent, too much offense for NO and I don't know how Carolina is supposed to score... neither running back is playing well (more O-line related but still) and they have 1 capable receiver who's being doubled every play... Could be close early, but I like New Orleans going away...
  • San Diego @ Houston - 1:00 - Really, really interesting game... it's do-or-die time almost for San Diego... KC and Oakland are playing well, and while SD is the "feared" team out there... it's a math problem... they still have no healthy targets, although Gates is a monster even on one leg apparently, and they can't figure out how to distribute the carries between Mathews/Tolbert/Sproles... it's kind of a mess... that said, Houston's defense is bad (especially pass D), Andre Johnson is hurt, and Matt Schaub looked rattled all night against Indy... I'm kind of tossing a coin, but I like Houston to bury SD's season just because they're always better at home, and look for Owen Daniels to have a big game... SD can't stop tight ends...
  • New York Jets @ Detroit - 1:00 - The Lions are frisky... talent everywhere... Stafford, Best, Johnson, Pettigrew... young and fast on defense... but the Jets are coming off a pathetic offensive display (Sanchez was a trainwreck vs. GB), and should be angry... I think they run the ball 35-40 times with LDT and Greene, and control the clock... Detroit faces a tough test, but if they can keep Stafford upright they'll make some plays and hang around...
  • Miami @ Baltimore - 1:00 - Interesting game here.... the Raven defense has been... un-Raven-like (lol)... surrendering big games left and right, but on the other hand Miami's offense, especially on the ground, has been pretty stagnant all year... Miami's best chance is to establish Brown and Williams, but they've been spotty, and I don't think Henne can beat them on the road... Flacco will get his (Miami's corners aren't good), and Ray Rice is always a factor... I like Baltimore
  • Arizona @ Minnesota - 1:00 - All I need to say here is that... even if Favre didn't play... even without Moss... I'd take Minny... with Tarvaris and Greg Lewis... Arizona's offense is a mess, they're really bad on the road, and Minnesota still has Peterson... simple as that...
  • New England @ Cleveland - 1:00 - Almost picked the upset special here... Cleveland's been frisky all year, especially at home, they are coming off a bye, and I think Hillis runs wild... that said, it's difficult to think Belichick won't be ready to beat up on Mangini... Brady should have a nice game, and they are suddenly running the ball effectively with Woodhead and Green-Ellis... NE may be the favorites right now...
  • Chicago @ Buffalo - 1:00 - I'm taking the Bills!.... I believe a little in Ryan Fitzpatrick... I believe a little in Steve Johnson... I believe a lot in Fred Jackson... and most of all... I do NOT believe in Jay Cutler... I do NOT believe in Mike Martz... I do NOT believe in the Bears O-line... and I think Toronto gives the Bills some love here...
  • NY Giants @ Seattle - 4:00 - I was picking Seattle here... until Hasselbeck was ruled out... and I can't bring myself to take Charlie Whitehurst... I just can't... I think Seattle hangs around because Qwest Field is maybe the biggest homefield advantage in the entire league, but without Hasselbeck, they'll need a herculean effort from Lynch and Forsett...
  • Indy @ Philly - 4:00 - Tough game to pick here... Vick is back for Philly, they are off the bye, and I'm convinced they have enough speed to combat/neutralize that Indy defense... on the flip side... I'm done picking against Peyton Manning... he just won a MNF game by 2 touchdowns with Jacob Tamme, Mike Hart, Blair White, and Anthony Gonzalez... take the Colts
  • Kansas City @ Oakland - 4:00 - Oakland is due for a stinker... and this is it I think... Charles and Jones will run for 200+ in this game (mark that down), Cassel won't kill them, and I just don't trust the Raiders yet... maybe it's that whole "decade of losing" thing... they have to prove it to me...
  • Dallas @ Green Bay - 8:00 - Can't they flex this game out? lol... Dallas is a trainwreck... Kitna looked awful in his first start, they have no ground game, and no offensive line... I can stop there right?... Green Bay big... Start all your Packers in fantasy (except the injured Driver) and watch them roll...
  • Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - MNF 8:30 - I think Cincy stinks... Carson Palmer is done, Benson won't be a factor against Pittsburgh, and I just don't think they can score enough here... Pittsburgh has reached the point where this is a game I expect them to win even on the road, and they'll be playing angry off the loss to New Orleans...
THE PICKS! (22-23-1 entering CFB)
  • Baltimore -4.5 over Miami - All Ravens here...
  • Green Bay -8 over Dallas - Reasons above...
  • New Orleans -6.5 over Carolina - Road favorites aren't my thing... but Carolina is a trainwreck
Sigh... was taking Seattle +7... but I can't now... alas

Done and done...

No comments: