Monday, December 5, 2011

12/5: Jam-Packed...

Greetings all... a whole lot to get to... let's start with the lead story everywhere...
  • The BCS title game is set... and it's the all-SEC showdown... I'm having trouble summoning the anger that this would've given me a few years ago just because I've grown weary of the BCS in general, and it's gone from pure fury to silent frustration... I have 2 thoughts... 1) I think Alabama would beat Oklahoma State on a neutral field... if the system is purely designed to get the '2 best teams', then it probably did it's job, however ludicrous... and 2) I think Oklahoma State has the better resume... I realize they play in an inferior league, but the Big 12 isn't the ACC or anything, and they had more quality wins... losing on the road during a short week and after a school-wide tragedy isn't a disastrous loss either... anyway...

To the NFL...

  • Texans 17, Falcons 10 - What a disaster for the Falcons... losing to TJ Yates on the road isn't as bad as it sounds (I like Yates as stated on Saturday, pre-game), but the way in which they did it was bad... Julio Jones was about as Jekyll/Hyde as you can get, culminating in an outright drop on the hail mary in the end zone, which I realize was a difficult catch, but it hit him in the wrong place (the hands)... the Falcons ran for just 70 yards, and Matt Ryan went 20 for 46 through the air... not exactly offensive efficiency... on the bright side, the Lions, Bears, Giants, and Cowboys ALL lost...
  • KC 10, Chicago 3 - Want to know how bad Caleb Hanie is?... Tyler Palko won this game on the road... bad news for the Bears too, in that Matt Forte reportedly sprained his MCL... keep an eye out...
  • Miami 34, Oakland 14 - The dolphins led 34-0 in the 4th quarter... are they good now?... I don't get it...
  • Denver 35, Minnesota 32 - Tebow!!!!.... he threw it just 15 times, but for 202 yards and 2 TDs with 0 INT, and had a QB rating of 149... he won a shootout here, folks... I'm not sure how anyone can outright kill him at this point... that offense put up 35 points on the road and he's 6-1 as a starter...
  • New England 31, Indy 24 - Indy scores 21 in the 4th... that's all I wanted to remind you of if someone asks why this game was close... it wasn't...
  • Pittsburgh 35, Cincy 7 - Don't forget who the king is in the AFC North... total domination from the jump...
  • Green Bay 38, NY Giants 35 - The champs roll on... this was a very good football game that culminated in a game-winner by Mason Crosby at the gun... Rodgers was typically ridiculous (369 yards, 4 TDs, 32 rushing yards), but Eli matched him stride-for-stride and really impressed me... that said, the Giants fall to 6-6... brutal...
  • Arizona 19, Dallas 13 (OT) - Such a typical Dallas game... they never play well in AZ, and got beat by Larod Stephens-Howling in OT... I have no earthly idea.... but here's an idea for Jason Garrett... when you have the league's phenom RB who's carried you for 6 weeks, try giving him the ball more than 12 times against Arizona...
  • San Fran 26, St. Louis 0 - Not saying a word about this wretched game, but congrats to the Niners for clinching the NFC West... I was wrong about them... even if I refuse to admit defeat on Alex Smith (just wait!!!!)
  • New Orleans 31, Detroit 17 - If I had to pick a team other than GB in the NFC, it's gotta be New Orleans... Brees is quietly playing out of his skull (342 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT), and Jimmy Graham is becoming an unstoppable weapon... watching this game, I wanted to bury the Lions, and then I realized they're still 7-5... oops...

Elsewhere...

  • Tiger Woods won a golf tournament... as an unabashed Tiger supporter (ON the course), I was happy to see it, especially with him finishing birdie-birdie with a crazy stick approach on 18 to seal it... he's coming...
  • Jose Reyes to the Marlins??... Reports everywhere with him inking a 6-year, $106 million dollar deal to play SS for the Miami club, and move Hanley to either 3B or the outfield... I think it's way too much money for a guy who has proven (to me, at least) that he can't stay on the field... but we also KNEW he'd get this money from someone, so the splash factor may justify it for the Fish... I'm not looking forward to dealing with Reyes for 6 more years...

And a quick look at the bowl matchups I like...

  • Fiesta - Stanford vs. Oklahoma State - Definitely the best match-up of the remaining games... if OSU blows doors here and Bama gets a close, ugly win... split title?....
  • Rose - Wisconsin vs. Oregon - Love this matchup... 2 of the best backfields in the country in very different ways...
  • Sugar - Michigan vs. Virginia Tech - If I wasn't a Michigan fan, this game wouldn't move me... but it does... anyone know where I can get cheap flights to the Big Easy?...
  • Cotton - K-State vs. Arkansas - a really nice game... and Jerry gets to host his Arkansas squad...
  • Capital One - Nebraska vs. South Carolina - I know SC is ranked like 10 spots higher, but am I the only one that thinks Nebraska beats them by 2 scores?
  • Outback - Michigan State vs. Georgia - Dantonio is horrible in bowl games (remember last year's embarrassment)... I think the SEC can go ahead and notch this one...

And while we're here... Boise State is playing in the Las Vegas Bowl... that's obscene....

Enjoy...


No comments: