Friday, October 1, 2010

NFL Week 4 Preview

Bye weeks! You know the NFL season is really underway when teams start taking the week off... here's a look at the matchups... (winner in bold)
  • San Francisco @ Atlanta - 1:00 - Man Alex Smith is bad isn't he? I know I've made this a personal crusade... but he just got his OC fired... come on now... Roddy White/Matt Ryan went ballistic against SF a year ago, and with the Turner/Snelling combo in full force after last week, I like the Birds
  • Denver @ Tennessee - 1:00 - Denver isn't good... especially defensively, and stopping the run... I actually have liked what I've seen from Orton thus far, but he's hamstrung at WR, and their running game isn't healthy/complete... Tennessee beat up on a down NYG team, and Young looked better... Johnson is a beast, and they won't allow Denver to run the ball at all...
  • Cincy @ Cleveland - 1:00 - Cleveland stinks... still... You can't trust them to put up points consistently with the Wallace/Delhomme/Hillis/Harrison/Massaquoi pu pu platter at the skill spots... come on... Cincy beat up on Carolina on the road last week, and they have enough to get this one...
  • Carolina @ New Orleans - 1:00 - I'm beyond down on Carolina... Clausen is making the Jimmy Clausen face... they suddenly can't stop anybody... and against NO on the road? An angry Saints team who finally lost a home game at that? This could get ugly...and quick...
  • Baltimore @ Pittsburgh - 1:00 - Chaz Batch got in the way-back machine last week... but he's getting too much credit for that win... their defense was dominant, and Mendenhall was a beast... It won't be that easy against Baltimore... even at home... This is one of the tougher games to pick all week because I've been unimpressed with the Ravens offense, but they can load up and stop the run and make Batch beat them...
  • NY Jets @ Buffalo - 1:00 - I can't in good conscious pick Buffalo right now (sorry B)... not with Ryan Fitzpatrick in there at QB, and their RB carousel in full effect... I don't like Sanchez outside on the road, but they'll pound the rock and make a couple plays on defense...
  • Seattle @ St. Louis - 1:00 -This would be a tougher call if Steven Jackson was 100%... but he isn't... and I've been encouraged by Seattle through 3 weeks... can't count on Leon Washington taking 2 to the house, but they were improved on the ground last week (Forsett with 90+ total yards), and I can't pick Sam Bradford without a running game...
  • Indy @ Jacksonville - 4:00 - Jacksonville's been ugly... Indy is Indy... all there is to it right? Meh... not exactly... the Jags have shown a propensity to dominate on the ground against Indy, and if they can control the ball, they'll hang around... but I can't pick them
  • Houston @ Oakland - 4:00 - I really don't want to pick Houston on the road... but I even moreso can't pick a team QB'd by the Oakland duo... Houston will put up 20+ and I'm not sure Oakland can match that against a tough Houston run D
  • Arizona @ San Diego - 4:00 - Derek Anderson on the road... Derek Anderson on the road.... Derek Anderson on the road....
  • Washington @ Philly - 4:00 - First division game for the Vick Experience... Donovan's return to the scene of the crime... This should be must-see TV... I like Philly at home because I don't think Washington can run the ball on them even if Portis is healthy... and he isn't...
  • Chicago @ NY Giants - 8:15 - Kind of a tough pick.. I'm still not a believer in Chicago... think GB gave that game away, I've been impressed by the Chicago run D, but NYG is certainly in desperation mode, and I think they can do enough here at home... Gonna really depend on how Eli responds, because Chicago will line up and look to stop Bradshaw...
  • New England @ Miami - MNF 8:30 - Brady has been sharp... the Pats run game looked competent against Buffalo, and Miami hasn't gotten the burst from Brown/Williams... I can't pick against Brady in good weather with all else even close to equal...
THE PICKS! (YTD 12-7 after 3-3 last week, CFB Pending)
  • Seattle -1 over St. Louis - I'm picking this on the assumption that Jackson either a) doesn't play or b) plays but is limited...
  • NO -13.5 over Carolina - They can't make this line high enough...
  • San Diego -8 over Arizona - Did I mention this was Derek Anderson on the road? Best of luck with that... especially against an angry SD team
Until next time...

No comments: